"Another Christmas time staple"
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light (not dark) corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla
- food coloring
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt in heavy saucepan
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture starts to boil
- Continue cooking until mixture forms soft ball when tested in cold water (or use a thermometer)
- In the mean time, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Then pour 1/2 cup of syrup over whites, beating fast all the time.
- Continue to cook remaining syrup while beating egg whites, until syrup reaches the light crack stage when dropped in cold water (this will happen quickly).
- Pour remaining syrup over egg white mixture, beating all the while
- Continue beating until candy begins to hold its shape
- Stir in vanilla and nuts and food coloring.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto waxed paper. Makes 50-60 pieces.
A Christmas treat everyone enjoyed.