Gavin's Chicken Noodle Soup
One of Gav's first dishes
- 3 chicken legs (thigh-drumstick piece)
- 3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ cups chopped onion (3 medium)
- 2 cups sliced carrot (4 medium)
- 1 cup sliced celery (2 stalks)
- one 12-ounce package frozen noodles
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Skin chicken. If necessary, cut up chicken to fit pan. In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine chicken, water, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add onion, carrot, and celery.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Discard bay leaves. Remove chicken from Dutch oven; cool slightly. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Chop chicken; set aside.
- Bring broth mixture to boiling. Add noodles; cook for 5 minutes (15 minutes if using frozen noodles). If desired, stir in frozen peas.
- In a screw-top jar combine mjlk and flour; cover and shake until smooth.
- Stir into noodle mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in chopped chicken.
- Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until mixture is heated through.
Serve with buttered bread or crackers