Prime Rib and Barley Soup
"We always have prime rib for Christmas, and usually there is enough meat left over for soup. If you don't have prime rib laying around, you can use some roast beef"
- 2 lbs of cooked prime rib (cut into small chunks)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 carrots (diced)
- 3 - 4 garlic cloves
- 1 to 2 cups frozen green peas
- 12oz fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup barley
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tbsps olive/canola oil or prime rib fat
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup (optional)
- Brown onions, carrots, garlic, and celery in oil.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add meat, barley and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add peas and mushrooms turn simmer for another 15 minutes.
- (optional) For a creamier soup add cream of mushroom soup with peas and mushrooms.
- Add red pepper flakes,salt and pepper to taste.
For uncooked lean beef - roll in flour and saute before adding onions etc.