Prime Rib and Barley Soup
"We always have prime rib for Christmas, and usually there is enough meat left over for soup. If you don't have prime rib laying around, you can use some roast beef"
- 2 lbs of cooked prime rib (cut into medium chunks)
- 1/2 meduim onion (diced)
- 3 carrots (sliced)
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 8oz fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 or 2 cubes beef boullion
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tblsp olive oil or prime rib fat
- 2 cups of water
- Brown onions and meat in olive oil.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Turn the burner down to simmer and slowly stir in the mushroom soup.
- Add the carrots, boullion, barley, and pepper.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and peas and simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
you can use leftover roast or fresh beef (dice into 2 inch chunks, brown and cook through). Serve with warm bread and salad.