Chili Verde with Nopales
Wonderful Mexican stew with tomatillos and cactus"
- 1 pound tomatillos (husked and rinsed)
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 2 poblano chiles
- 1 medium onion -- chopped
- 2 jalapeños diced
- 3 bunches of cilantro (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic -- minced
- 1 1/2 chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preparation - Tomatillo Sauce
- Roast,peel,and seed chiles
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan
- Add garlic and onion, cook until translucent
- Add tomatillos, jalapeno, poblanos, green chiles,cilantro,oregano, and chicken stock
- Simmer 20 minutes
- Remove from heat, let cool for ten minutes
- Puree in blender.
- Preparation - Pork and Nopales
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Sear meat until light brown.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt and simmer until pork is tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate pan bring 1 quart of water to a boil.
- Add nopales and simmer for 10 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the tomatillo sauce and nopales mixture. to the pan with the pork.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Sdd salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with warm tortillas.
serve with warm tortillas and refried beans