Fried Green Tomatoes
"Jan Makes this every year when our garden stops producing tomatoes in the fall"
- 1 extra large egg
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or bacon drippings)
- 3 green tomatoes, sliced.
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- In a small bowl whisk together egg and milk. In another small bowl mix salt, pepper, paprika, cornmeal and flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; use more or less oil to reach about 1/4 inch in depth.
- Dredge tomato slices first in egg mixture, then in cornmeal mixture. Carefully place slices in hot oil and cook until browned on both sides.
Jan prefers bacon drippings