Potato and Meat Burritos
this is one of Jan's meals that the whole family loves
- 1 large baking potato
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, finely chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 cup grated Monterey Jack
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 lime, plus wedges for garnish
- Peel potatoes; cut into 1/2-inch dice. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add potato; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add beef, onion, and jalapeno; cook, stirring, until beef is thoroughly browned, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and juice, cumin, paprika, and 1 teaspoon salt; cook until liquid has evaporated, about 6 minutes.
- Heat tortillas, one at a time, in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, turning once, until lightly browned, about 10 seconds.
- Leaving space on bottom and sides, layer tortillas with sour cream, lettuce, beef mixture, cheese, and cilantro, if using; squeeze lime juice on top. Fold bottom upward, covering filling by 2 inches. Fold each side to overlap, leaving the top end open. Serve garnished with lime wedges.
Serve with Mexican rice