Split Pea Soup
- 1 small bag split peas (sort & rinse)
- 1 1/2 lb ham hock
- 1 medium potato (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 2 ribs of celery (diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Saute vegetables (except peas) and garlic with olive oil in a large pot.
- Add peas, chicken stock, spices and ham hock
- Bring to boil on high heat
- Turn heat down to low and simmer covered for 90 minutes.
- Remove meat from bone stir and cook uncovered for 30 minutes. (if too thick add more stock or water).
- Add more salt & pepper to taste.
"serve with crackers"